Bihar State Seed Certification Agency controlled through seed act 1966 of section 8 & 9 .In the regard of basic aim seed certification scheme sanction by state government resolution no 2043 dated 25.11.1972. Bihar State Seed certification agency registered under society registration act 1860 of section 21. The agency registered in 29th March 1979 & its registration no is 25 dated 29th March 1979.
Definition of Seed Certification:
Seed certification is a regulated process, designed to secure, maintain and make available certain prescribed levels of genetic purity, physical purity, physiological quality and health in seeds including vegetative propagating materials of superior crop plant varieties.
The objective of seed certification thus is to develop and operate such a mechanism or arrangement through the various phases of seed production, processing, storage and handling so as to meet the requirement mentioned in the Definition.
Importance of Seed Certification :
Seed is the only medium by which varieties evolved by plant breeding programmes spending considerable skill, time, energy and money can be continuously and repeatedly made available to the public in their original form,, on a large scale and over a long period. Seed may also be an agent either singly or in combination with other for transfer and spread of harmful fungal, bacterial or vial pathogens, nematodes, insects and weeds over crop generations and over time and space. Further it is of value only if it is pure and alive. If genetically, physically and physiologically good seed should be available for successful crop production an affective quality control mechanism is necessary, right from the choice of seed for raining the seed crop to the supply of seed so produced for subsequent crop production. Experience has shown that a sound seed certification system is the effective way for seed quality control. It is thus an essential means to reap the benefits of crop improvement research and to achieve the ultimate ends of plant breeding. Hence, seed certification forms a vital component of any seed improvement programme.
Seed certification Procedures :
Seed certification is completed in six broad phases as shown below
- Receipt and scrutiny of application
- Verification of the source, class and other requirements of the seed used for raining the seed crop
- Field inspections to verify conformity to the prescribed filed standards.
- Supervision at various stages, especially during harvesting, transportation of harvested produces to the threshing yard, threshing, winnowing, bagging of raw seed, its transportation and handling, processing and bagging.
- Seed sampling and analysis, including genetic purity tests and or seed health tests, if any prescribed to verify conformity top the prescribed standards.
- Grant of certificate and certification tags and tagging and sealing
Bihar State Seed & Organic Certification Agency (BSSOCA) is committed to provide its customers i.e. Organic Operators with stringent procedures to enhance the quality, endurance and reliability of the system of production and there by ensures quality of final Organic products, employing trained & qualified professionals to provide efficient state-of-the-art platform, complying with all applicable regulatory requirements and continually improving the Management System.
Inspection and Certification
Inspection and Certification of Organic Farms are carried out in accordance with NPOP norms which was launched by the Government of India in the year 2000 and notified in October 2001 under Foreign Trade and Development Act.
Bihar State Seed & Organic Certification Agency (BSSOCA ) Department shall issue scope certificate to the Organic operator who comply with National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP).
- Transaction certificate shall be issued to the specified lot or consignment of goods which have been derived from production and or processing system that has been certified.
2. This certificate shall be essential for export of Organic products.
3. Transaction Certification is an authorization given by Bihar State Seed & Organic Certification Agency (BSSOCA )Department stating that the products / stocks mentioned in transaction certificate has been produced and or prepared in compliance with National Programme for Organic Production norms.
Product certificate is issued to the buyer on request of the operator